One of the biggest goals during my education was finding ways to make every student successful with learning in my classroom.  I made it a goal to understand the pedagogy and to be able to present content to my students in clear, yet challenging ways.  It is important to constantly expect more out of our students, because a high level of success is achieved through high expectations.  

I was given the opportunity for teaching experience in a laboratory environment within the music education department at Virginia Tech.  Through this laboratory ensemble, I was able to teach my peers on secondary instruments. It began by introducing instruments to students, much like a middle school band program, and ultimately conducting a piece in a high school environment. Below you will find a lesson plan for the lab band.  You will first notice the objectives listed in the opening, stating the goals for the particular lesson. Next you will detailed procedures for the lesson. This is a much better format for organization and success.  

An important aspect of succesful music teaching is being able to model on all instruments for our students.  If a student has nothing to compare to, they will have a difficult time in producing a characteristic tone on their instrument.  As their teacher, it is our job to guide them to success, which is achieved through modeling on all instruments. Below you will find photos as evidence of my modeling in the classroom.  

Next you will find a lesson plan from my middle school band field experience. This experience included beginning band, intermediate band woodwind class, advanced band, and a related arts sequence for every sixth graders.  You will notice much more detail in this lesson plan, including objectives with VA S.O.L.'s listed, as well as the very important assessment section included at the end.  This lesson also clearly states adaptations for a student with special needs.  It is extremely important to be able to adapt lessons and find ways for every student to succeed through differentiated instruction.  Music is for everyone, so it is important to have a wide variety of strategies to present to each student.  

I was privledged to have the opportunity to execute my own case study on a student with special needs, specficially with Asperger's Syndrome.  This was a very meaningful study for me, because I had the chance to teach this student a great deal one-on-one.  It was rewarding to find out how this student overcome the daily tasks presented and finding out how I could differentiate instruction for his learning style.  It is important to find out about every student, so we are able to adapt to their learning.  

Learners with Special Needs Case Study

5 December 2011

The student in my student with special needs case study has been diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, which is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns in behavior and interests.  The symptoms throughout this case in which I expected were perseveration on specific topics of interest, inability to make friends, pedantic speech, literal thinking, difficulty in learning in large groups, problem-solving abilities tending to be poor, poor concentration and motor clumsiness. 

In my actual observations, I have noticed that the student always seemed rush and in a hurry, worried that he will be late.  He always is running to class, rushing to put his things away, and wanting to move on to the next task.  This includes in the morning and afternoon when he comes to the band room to put his instrument in storage.  Most of the time he is by himself when rushing, which leads me to believe that he has trouble making friends, or would rather do his own thing. He frequently stands behind the teacher during instructions, waiting to ask question.  He will generally do this three to four times in a given class period.  The questions are usually way off class and redundant at the time.  He always seems stressed during instruction, as well, and tends to get frustrated when new information is presented.  Generally, most information is review; he gets overwhelmed with one new thing.  He doesn’t follow instructions and can’t really grasp new concepts.  When the student was absent for a week due to pneumonia, he returned to class and was even more stressed than normal, due to being behind in the material.  Before he was stressed enough due to confusion, but now he is even more.  He and the cooperating teacher decide he will work on his own some in the practice room during instruction for a while.  The cooperating teacher does find time to work with him one-on-one during some of this time.  This type of activity seems to help and calm the student.  The student does this out of the full class study for a couple days with the continued help of the cooperating teacher while I am running class.  Once concert week begins, the student joins the class again.  He still feels very behind and flustered.  He worries over little things such as valves sticking more than he should. He always wants to deal with his own problems right away, no matter what myself or the cooperating teaching is dealing with at that particular moment.  On the final day of the case study, I work with the student individually.  The cooperating teacher tells us that I will work with him, but the student wants to begin right away, despite my attention another task at the moment. He worries about when we will begin and seems eager to begin in order to move on to the next task.  He wanted to start at the beginning of the book, which made me feel like he was extremely far behind.  He didn’t want to go over exercises more than once, though.  He repeatedly says he doesn’t know a lot of the information, but when really he does.  He has trouble putting most into words, though.  I try to boost his confidence, and it seems to help.  I said at one point to him that he should relax and not worry so much over everything and he acknowledged that he does have that tendency, which is a good step. With a little boost of confidence he seemed to strive well, and definitely prefers one-on-one attention. 

Over the month period, this child was very stressed and flustered throughout music class. He tends to fall behind easily, and knows this.  He lets the teachers know he is confused, often.  He doesn’t always think all the way through, though.  He just assumes he doesn’t know the information.  The lack of individual attention led to him feeling this way, I think.  He needs a lot of one-on-one to be successful.  It helps to explain things to him clearly.  My role began by just observing and watching the cooperating teacher lead.  Throughout the process I began to come closer to the students learning.  In the end I was able to help him individually which really seemed to help him, especially with his confidence.   The music teacher helped him before I was involved, though.  He does not have an assistant or professional aide. 

I learned throughout this process of observing and working with him individually that a little personalized attention could really go a long way.  I realized that I could touch each student throughout his or her education, even with just a little help.  I think it is important to make sure each students needs are being met, which requires time one-on-one.  This knowledge will help me to focus on every student, rather than just the group as a whole.  I felt accomplished by being able to boost this student’s confidence, too.  I think as long as I remember that every student deserves attention that I will continue to help all my students just like I helped this student. 

Differentiated instruction is one of the single most important aspects of creating lessons and writing lesson plans.  One way we can overcome this challenge is to arrange music on our own.  Who better than to write music for students than the teacher who knows their abilities, strengths, weaknesses and needs for improvements.  If we have a piece of music we want to expose to our students, but maybe it is slightly out of their ability range, we can always arrange on our own to make it more accessible.  It could be for the entire ensemble, or for individual sections and students.  This can help to build their abilities in steps.  This is an important skill to hold, and I am grateful for that knowledge.  

It is important to know the capabilities of our students.  A knowledge of a wealth of musical repertoire is important in instrumental music education, because a large aspect of our purpose is performance.  We should always strive to build a repertoire curriculum to expose our students to important works of the band genre, but also to build technique and musicality.  We should challenge our students, while also setting them up for success.  Below you will see a link to download a band literature project I completed.  It contains five works for an intermediate level high school band and also five works for an advanced level high school band.  

Rep_list.docx

Below you will find an audio recording taken during my time at the middle school.  The piece you hear is Appalachian Trail by John Kinyon, one of the most influential middle school band composers.  It is important to regularly record bands to critique and improve.  

In the recording, you will first hear movement one, The Gospel Song. This is based off of the folk tune, Amazing Grace.  You'll first hear the smooth lines of the woodwinds, but notice they could use some dynamic contrast.  Also, when the theme comes in first, it could use more projection.  When the entire ensemble enters, balance is handled well.  Also, the dynamics are lowered towards the end, creating a fade out effect.  

In movement two, The Clog Dance, the first problem you'll hear is a poor entrance.  Also, you'll hear the the bass clarinet sticking out, creating a harsh tone.  Dynamics are very good in this movement, creating an arch effect from beginning to end.  Accents are emphasized greatly, and maybe too much at times. The articulations in the woodwind and brass call and response is matched, too.  This was something I stressed a lot during the process.  Finally, leading to the end, you'll still notice the harsh sound of the low reeds, again. Also, the last measure, the tuba could project more, since they are the only instrument with moving lines.  

(This ensemble is a very advanced level middle school band, equivalent to a underclass high school ensemble.) 

My percussion professor presented me with an important quote to live by throughout my musical and teaching career at my undergraduate commencement:

"Remember, we're here to teach and learn. We won't always recognize one from the other." -Karen Casey 

It is important to remember as a music educator that we must always strive to continue to learn for the benefit of our students.  Times change, styles change, and ways to be successful are updated.  Below you will find a list of web resources that I will use regularly in order to assure my students that I am always growing as an educator for the sake of their education and success.  

Instrumental Music Education Web Resources 

General/Band

Virginia Band and Orchestra Director’s Association www.vboda.org

Virginia Music Educator’s Association www.vmea.com

Drum Corps International www.dci.org

National Association for Music Education www.nafme.org

VT Music Dictionary www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/index.html

Music Theory www.people.vcu.edu/~bhammel/theory/

Manuscript Paper www.blanksheetmusic.net

Note Flight Free Music Notation www.noteflight.com

Instrument Specific

National Flute Association www.nfaonline.org

International Clarinet Organization www.clarinet.org

National Saxophone Organization www.saxophone.org 

International Trumpet Guild www.trumpetguild.com

International Horn Society www.hornsociety.org

National Trombone Organization www.ita-web.org

International Tuba Euphonium Association www.iteaonline.org

International Double Reed Society www.idrs.org

Steve Weiss Music www.steveweissmusic.com

Percussive Arts Society www.pas.org