Something that is essential to any choir is motivation.  There are many ways to motivate the students through intrinsic and extrinsic motivation.  Through my teaching experiences, I have learned that the MUSIC method helps immensely. The MUSIC Model of Academic Motivation is a model that helps instructors in all subject areas focus on five key aspects of motivation in the classroom.  The acronym stands for Empowerment, Usefulness, Success, Interest, and Caring.  If the student feels that the teacher is presenting new concepts for the choir to learn for valid reasons, the students are more likely to be motivated.  I have tried to use this as a guide to keep my students motivated without making it obvious.  I find that when the students feel that I care about their success, they are more likely to try harder.  This contributes greatly to the overall success of the whole choir.

Being able to reflect on what the students are learning is a huge skill for any teacher to have as well.  In the following  two documents, I reflect on the lessons I taught at the elementary school and the pre/post test reflection of the middle school written assessment I administered:

In the 21st century, our students are becoming more and more connected with technology.  Therefore, it is our job as teachers to stay updated with the current technology we can use in the classroom.  This will not only keep us connected with our students but also create new ways to be creative!  One way that technology can play a helpful role is through websites.  By knowing how to create a website, we can create new ways for students to access music learning.  I created a website of different projects I have done during my graduate career at Virginia Tech.  This was a great way to learn how to use Dreamweaver as well as explore other options. 

Below is a link to my Teacher Worksample Website:

https://filebox.vt.edu/users/tmac/TeachingWebsite/Tatianaswebsite.index.html

The collage below displays the development of my conducting during my student teaching experience.  I find that as my conducting became more clear, the students were able to respond better.  Because the lines of communication were open, the pacing was much smoother as well.