IV. Student Learning

Auditions

As part of my student teaching experience in the spring, I helped my cooperating teacher put together, run, and judge auditions as both a class grade and a placement test (for 2014-2015 ensemble placements). I created both the prepared audition material, rubric, and score break down that included my scores and my cooperating teacher's scores. This was the point at which I realized that the students need to work on fundamentals, based on the scores and performances we heard. I also realized just how difficult it is to do auditions like this in class - they're very time consumming. At the same time, the information I received from what I heard in that audition room was vital in decisions I made later on and how/what I taught them. 

Pre- and Post-test 

As part of my pre- and post-test assessment, I wrote a reflection that includes data analysis. This was a great example of student growth from the pre-test to the post-test. 

Assessment+Results+Doc+CFlake (1).pdf

Feedback

Three Stars and A Wish

Student learning is not just about assessment their performance/understanding, it's also about what I'm doing as a teacher. This assignment was one that I was very nervous about, but I knew I needed to do. Student feedback is something I think can be very useful, but after hearing my cooperating teacher talk about feedback he's received from students, I knew that I need to help guide them. I gave the students very clear instructions; what they should and should not write about. I completed this process through a survey website called socrative student. Below is information I provided on my blog about the assignment, including a break down of the stars (things they like) and the wishes (things they want to see me do).

The comments I got were great and for the most part told me I had them on the right track. There were a few suggestions that I took into account and tried to alter and accommodate. My final collage focused on the feedback I got from this activity, showing what they said they liked as well as what they wished for and how I tried to improve on that in class.

Final Reflections 

Student feedback is great as long as there is guidance, but self reflection is also a great way to improve student learning. Reflecting on what works, what doesn't, what my weaknesses are, what my strengths are, etc. The below are my final reflections for my elementary placement, fall student internship, and spring student internship. From my elementary placement to now, I've improved in so many ways and it's interesting to see my growth in both my confidence and my classroom management, just to name a few.